Wednesday, August 14, 2013

How does it feel to have autism?

We asked a few of the children and adults in the programs at ATC this question: How does it feel to have autism?

Here is what they had to say...

"Feels good." :) - Lora

"Feels terrible." - Lisa

"Good. Because I'm special." - Bailey

"I don't know." - Chris

"It's kinda different, I have high-functioning autism, so I don't know what low-functioning autism is like.  My mom told me I was the best gift she ever received from God!" - Daniel

Just as there are many different symptoms and behaviors associated with autism, those living with autism may feel just as many different ways about their diagnosis.  Some may thrive on their differences and others may struggle.  Some are aware of their specific hurdles or abilities and others are not.

It is often thought that people with autism do not have feelings.  As we can see, this is not true; it just might take a little more work to define and understand them.  It's important to see the potential and opportunity for each individual person to express their feelings and to help encourage them through the highs and lows of life - with or without autism.

No comments:

Post a Comment